Thursday, February 26, 2009

GRAMMAR p 19

===begin p 19===

ployed, according to the number of
the noun., e.g.

jug-ae a-nye-a-kre-kae....I brought the horse
jug-ae wa-nye-a-kre-kae...I brought the horses

11. The particle hju, or kju, is some
times added to nouns to give them
force, or generality, or universality;
and, when used as a conjunction in-
stead of ku, it shows that the noun is
plural: as,

wa-nu-ncae,..........an animal
wa-nu-ncae-hju,.....animals, all kinds of animals
wa-je-kae,.............a person,
wa-je-kae-hju,.....all, or different kinds of
...............................persons.
cae-fka.................a cow.
cae-fka-hju..........various kinds of cattle.
he-yeg-ae-ku,........my son.
he-yeg-ae-hju,.....my sons.

12. Words denoting kindred undergo
a change, which, in most instances, is
effected by prefixing one of the
fragments of the personal pronoun
which also indicates the person of
the noun of which the relation is affir-

===end p 19===

Lance's Notes for p. 19



SHUNGE ANYIKRI KE



jug-ae a-nye-a-kre-kae....I brought the horse

shunge anyikri ke (H/I)
Sunge/shunye anyigri ke (today)

jug-ae wa-nye-a-kre-kae...I brought the horses

shunge wanyikri ke (H/I)
Sunge/shunye wanyigri ke (today)

Good Tracks' 1992 Dictionary has for "bring" (brought):

agu; anyigu = bring (v.t.)
anyaji = bring; arrive having (v.)
agu = bring back; get back (v.t.)
anyigri = bring back home (v.t.)

One sees that Hamilton-Irvin's examples
specifically meant:

Shunge anyigri ke. = I brought the horse back home.
Shunge wanyigri ke, = I brought the horses back home.

So one could then it seems one can make the
following sentences,
combining the information from both
Good Tracks (1992) and Hamilton and Irvin (1848)
--and recall in Ioway-Otoe
that present tense and past tenses are said the same
way, in many instances:

Shunge agu ke. OR Shunge anyigu ke.=
I am bringing the horse back home.
I brought the horse back home.
I bring back the horse.
I brought back the horse.
I get the horse back.
I got the horse back.

Shunge wagu ke. =
I am bringing the horses back home.
I brought the horses back home.
I bring back the horses.
I brought back the horses.
I get the horses back.
I got the horses back.

Shunge anyigri ke. =
I am bringing the horse back home.
I brought the horse back home.

Shunge wanyigri ke. =
I am bringing the horses back home.
I brought the horses back home.

Shunge anyaji ke. =
I arrive bringing the horse.
I arrive having brought the horse.

Shunge wanyaji ke. =
I arrive bringing the horses.
I arrive having brought the horses.

It is good to practice making your own
sentences in as many different acceptable
forms as possible. That is an ESSENTIAL
part of learning a language. You want to
be able to make your own sentences as
needed, rather than just parroting the
sentences of another!


-XSHU

hju (hshu) / kju (kshu) = -xshu

This is a suffix meaning "all kinds of"
and sometimes acts as a plural indicating
a sense of uniqueness to each "thing"
when used as a plural, as when speaking
of "sons" in H/I's example.

Good Tracks (1992) gives -hsu from Hamilton as
"about (more/less)" and "all kinds of";
Related words from GT include:

ikirara:an adjective and verb meaning "mixed;
different kinds of; of different kinds (colors, etc.)"

ikihi: "to mix things together" (see the causative -hi?)


WANUNJE / WANUNJEXSHU



wa-nu-ncae,..........an animal
wanunche (H/I)
wanunje (today)

wa-nu-ncae-hju,.....animals, all kinds of animals
wanunchehshu (H/I)
wanunjexshu (today)

Trying our own sentences, one
might then say (and let's
use an example as a woman would say it):

Wanunje ada ki. "She sees an animal."

Wanunjexshu ada ki. "She sees all kinds of animals."


WANSHIGE / WANSHIGEXSHU



wa-je-kae,.............a person,
washike (H/I)
wanshige (today)

wa-je-kae-hju,.....all, or different kinds of
...............................persons.
washikehshu (H/I)
wanshigexshu (today)

Examples of sentences (woman's form):

Wanshige hu ki. "A person is coming."

Washigexshu hu ki. "All kinds of people are coming."


CHEXGA / CHEXGAXSHU




cae-fka.................a cow.
chethka (H/I)
chexga (today)

che-thka = "buffalo-white" =
"cattle" (domestic cow)

Note that the sound has shifted from the
"th" sound to the "x" (as in German aCHtung)
over the last 150 years. You will also
find older examples of "sh" or "s" in the same
place, as in the famous example of
Mahaska /Mahashka (old form of "White Cloud")
Now, it then became Mahathka, and now
Mahaxga (Mahaxka). None of the meaning
has changed, it is just a phonological change
such as all living languages sometimes go through.
See the next post for a note about this!

cae-fka-hju..........various kinds of cattle.
chethkaxshu (H/I)
chexgaxshu (today)

Examples of sentences:

Chexga anyi ki.
"He has a cow." OR
"She has a cow."

Chexgaxshu anyi ki.
"She has all kinds of cattle."


HINYINGE / HINYINGEKU / HINYINGEXSHU



he-yeg-ae-ku,........my son.
hiyingeku (H/I)
hinyinge (my son) (today)
Note the form has changed since
H/I's time, with the "ku" sound
dropped in this singular form.

he-yeg-ae-hju,.....my sons.
hiyingehshu (H/I)
hinyingexshu (today)
Again, not used today, but you can
see it could come in handy, when
speaking of your sons as
different individuals (and
wouldn't that generally be the case?)

Je'e hinyingeku ki. "This is my son."
or just
Je'e hinyinge ki.

Je'e hinyingexshu ki.
"These are my sons." (Implying their
individuality and unique natures.)